Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Characteristics Generals and Armies  (Read 431 times)

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
Characteristics Generals and Armies
« on: April 08, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »
I want to bring real character to the individuals famed through the wars.
Here's my first attempt.

Certainly Wellington, Picton, New all felt like big personalities at Quatre Bras.

Also contains a guide of 3 competition armies for you.  1815 French, British and Prussian.
More to follow.

S

nigel.emsen@gmail.com

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
Re: Characteristics Generals and Armies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
Something you might want adopt. In my sets I split generals down into two properties.

Staff ability: which is there ability as a staff office and tactical/strategy capability.

Charisma: how well liked by their men. Would troops go the extra mile for that commander?

This gives you a nice matrix of types.
So you could have highly charismatic but incompentant to highly compentant and highly charismatic.. Plus any other combo in between.

Staff ability affects with movement etc
Charismatic ability affects morale tests

Just something for the mixing pot.

sultanbev

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »
What's the cut-off point for a unit to become large? 750 men? 800 men? Because not all Prussian units were that big, and not all British units were that small.

Also, I do the Prussians differently. What they called Brigades were in fact divisional HQs, and the regiment HQs were the equivalent of everyone elses' brigades.
So you get divisions with only 7 infantry battalions in 2 eBde HQs; 2 batteries and sometimes attached cavalry directly under the eDHQ commander.

Mark

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:57:59 AM »
Prussians

As a result they get discs for the Brigade commanders as they are the first level down from corp commanders. See the sheet on them.

On unit size I am pondering bit am thinking 800+.
Haven't had chance to go through all of them yet to find the large ones.
Of course many fought understrength so a standard option to be 2 instead of 3.

Si

sultanbev

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
Oh, regarding infantry squares, I think a three base layout should be:

**^***  *
              >
**V***  *

the third base at the side rather than the three stacked like you've shown.

At some point you'll have to add brigade squares for the French, Russians and Austrians where all the battalions within one brigade form one hugh square - in effect each battalion in double line (6 ranks deep) at 90* to each other, corners adjacent

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »
Probably better you are correct.

Brigade square foot difficult to add.
All you do is do a formation change with a brigade with units in the right places and a giant square of CoA formations.
Probably put them all in square individually but touching.

Si

nigel.emsen@gmail.com

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
Where cosmetically untidy what about tokens with a printed square on, top down in the u its nation colour? Brits red, French mid blue etc would look better than squares with less than 4 bases..

Step forward from close/loose markets in meg

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
You mean for the 1 base a unit version?
I was thinking ones that go under the bases and stick ou slightly.

S

dvorkin59

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 03:19:52 PM »
How many men for infantry and for cavalry represent one stand?

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 07:13:06 AM »
Broadly speaking looking at a 2 base unit being up to 750 and 3 base above that.
1 base therefore in practice 200-350.  Not rigidly fixed as the 2 and 3 base concepts are the key to the rules.  We simply need to draw a standard unit and then a boundary to assess when something is worthy of 'large'

'Large' shouldn't play a very big roll in decision making.  When the points are done it will not be 1.5x a small.  We can choose what boost to give it driven by its effectiveness.

Si

mad lemmey

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »
Hill should be rated as 'Popular' as he was very well respected by his troops was old Daddy Hill!  8)

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
Yes probably right.

S

Bahdahbum

• Camp follower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
Hy,

So busy at work and with MEG I have had no time for Gloire de Guerre .

But I have had an interesting discussion about the Battle of Waterloo - Simon knows well - and here are my conclusions :

Up to now, much of the armies and general characteristics have been based on what was the accepted common knoweledge . Alll was based on the books written by british officers or french officers . But most , even the vast majority of those writings are grossly incorrect . They encense their armies, their leaders, their system . Now we have new sources, russian, german, french but from belgium, dutch or spanish and the story is not really the same .

Yes Napoleon lost Waterloo...but the story of how it happened is sometimes just a bit different .

Reading books on Borodino as seen by the French autors and the now available russian one's do not change the fact that the russian conceded the field ...but some accepted facts are not related the same way .

So we might pay attention to that. To me, for exemple, the skilled british shooter is a myth ( except light, rifles and guard ) . But defending in a line, shooting the closed column to a stop is not !

We might discuss it before decinding if we want rules that just follow the former accepted way or do we discuss the new sources ?

SimonHall@TWZ

• TWZ Team
  • Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 01:44:19 PM »
As with Mortem et Gloriam, I am always up for challenged all received wisdoms with the latest evidence.

Let's take what we can from those sources directly Jacques and share them and we can interpret where we go with them.

Si