Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: KV2-b  (Read 171 times)

Alberto

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
KV2-b
« on: November 23, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »
The penetration of the KV2-B is two at any distance : its a mistake ?

Alberto

sultanbev

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:34:32 AM »
No, that's with it's HE shell. They didn't carry an armour piercing round, although some were issued with concrete-piercing rounds as an emergency measure. However, with 152mm HE, you don't need to penetrate armour to damage a tank, the blast is deadly enough.

Mark

lanceflint1959

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:58:14 PM »
I think that the concrete tipped rounds may have been issued from training stock in lieu of anything else?
Lance.

SimonHall@TWZ

  • TWZ Team
  • Regular
  • *
  • Posts: 174
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
But despite the lack of penetration its blast can shatter the front of a Panther.
Which is why it did ok.  All correct and realistic.

S

lanceflint1959

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:01:20 PM »
Not really.
With a concrete round there is no blast, you just get hammered by a big chunk of concrete. Thats if you can traverse the turret, hit anything with the howitzer that is moving, a stationary target would probably take three rounds anyway, the big block of concrete flew true and you had any level of tactical manoeuvre caused by a chronic lack of fuel and a seizing gearbox.
Any panthers unlikely enough to be hit by a KV2- b may have been in a time warp?
It was one of the worst tanks of WW2.
L.
But I stand ready to be better informed by those more knowledgeable.

sultanbev

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
Concrete piercing rounds are merely normal HE rounds with a delay action fuze and thicker hardeerd case , the idea being that the shell will penetrate some way into the concrete before it explodes, thereby creating a bigger hole. So if you actually manage to hit an armoured vehicle with one it would be quite effective. In effect it is a HE round with better penetration. The CP round for the KV-2 penetrated 7cm of vertical steel armour, more than enough for any 1941 Axis tank.

Accuracy wise though, it's effective range (70% base hit chance, both halted in the open, unsuppressed) is only 300m, with maximum effective range (30% chance) of 1000m. So it's a bit desperate in the anti-tank role! Which is fair enough, as it wasn't designed for taking on tanks. But wargamers are wargamers, everything is an anti-tank weapon, so we cater for that with the data. And indeed, Soviet doctrine was also that every weapon had to fight tanks in an emergency, so were all designed with anti-tank rounds of some sort. It's not clear how many CP rounds were issued to KV-2s, but the bog-standard HE round is more than sufficient anyway.

I have since found that there was an actual AP round for the KV-2, with penetration of 9cm/90*/1000m, but it was never issued to KV-2 units.

It's by far and away not the worst tanks of WW2, the A38 Valiant is probably the premier for that label, but at least the KV-2 saw action and held the Germans up on occasion.

Mark

lanceflint1959

  • Camp follower
  • *
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: KV2-b
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:03:26 AM »
Ah, I misunderstood your meaning about the concrete rounds being piercing ones designed to take on bunkers and the like and solid concrete tipped rounds used as training ammunition, so I was on the wrong track, so to speak, apologies.
Lance.